Tuesday, August 27, 2013

On the Tried and True, New Computers, and Loving What We've Got/27



Today the computer we bought for my husband is returned.

It didn't work as he had planned.  Windows 8 was a disappointment among other things.

I suggested him getting a Mac like I have or another computer, but he wants a computer that works like the one he has now.  We thought getting an updated model of the same computer would work, but, alas, it didn't.

I guess there is something about going with the tried and true.  The tried and true computer.  The tried and true journal.  The tried and true paints.   And I figure a lot of times in our lives we attempt to replace items or others that we feel have lived out their better days with us when sometimes the tried and true would still do.

We set aside relationships that still have that little glimmer of hope for that glossy, funner relationship looking over our shoulder.  We set aside the old bedspread just when we're tired of it for the fancy floral patterned one in the catalog.  We set aside our favorite pair of heels while looking for a replacement pair.

And don't get me wrong.  It's okay to want things--new things.

But I guess I didn't realize until today that sometimes we discard what could still be useful so we can have more of something else.  Sometimes simpler may be better.  Sometimes the old computer edges out the new one just by a nose.

Sometimes what we already have might just be all we need.

No comments:

Post a Comment