Sunday, August 18, 2013

On Creative Pauses, Listening, and Honoring/Day 18



I'm in a little bit of a dip relating to my art.

Canvasses await.  My altered book stares at me from the corner of the room.  The desire is simply not there.  I cut out something to use in a journal spread, then it sits there.  I don't make anything from it.

While trying to analyze the issue, I get a sense that the desire will return, that sometimes we have to let things remain fallow.  The season, the day, the moment of creativity will return.

I believe our bodies are the best indicators of what we may be called to DO at the moment.  If our heart is not into it, the experience may feel lacking to us.  In the past, I have pushed through that dry spell in my art.  I can't say that I'm glad I did.  Of course, everyone is different.  For some folks keeping going may be the thing that sparks more creativity.

I've noticed if I honor the lack of interest in my art, then it returns stronger and bigger and better than before.

So those images I've cut out for a journal spread can wait until I'm ready.  The canvasses will be ready upon my return.

And I'll be a better artist for listening to what the creative self wants.

No comments:

Post a Comment