Saturday, August 17, 2013

On New Kits, a Reliquary, and a Triptych/Day 15

I ordered a a kit to paint a reliquary.

It came from paperwhimsy.com.  After being glued together by my husband, I stared at the blank pressed wood triptych reliquary.

Most folks, I guess, know that a reliquary is a receptacle, such as a coffer or shrine, for keeping or displaying sacred relics.  A triptych is a picture or relief carving on three panels, typically hinged together vertically and used as an altarpiece.  This art piece combined both.

I couldn't think how to decorate mine.  Finally the colors cream and gold came to mind.  I began.

I painted the first coat cream and added gold accents.  I added three pictures of Virgin Mary that I cut out.  I added some glitter and a few beads.  It sounds like it didn't take long, but it did take a little time.

For my first try, I was pleased.  I have the finished product on a shelf in my living room.

I enjoyed the project and may do another one soon.





No comments:

Post a Comment