Monday, September 23, 2013

On Loving Spirit, Morning Coffee, and Painting




September 23, 2013 Moonshine Journal

I can lovingly mother my spirit by . . .

I wish when I came to the page the words would freely come. However, sometimes I just sit and stare at the screen and wonder what it’s like for others—if they sit and stare at their screens too. 

It would be nice if words simply tumbled in great wisdom onto the page. Even with freewrites, sometimes the words fight back. They refuse. Stubborn words.

So I sit here trying to say how I can lovingly mother my spirit by . . . and I find myself wanting to say something profound, but nothing is coming.

Maybe that means I don’t mother my spirit at all. Nah. I think I do in some ways. In the warm cups of coffee in the morning that act as a gentle wake up call to my soul. In the painting after painting and journal spread after journal spread I bring forth. My sprit is fed through each one. In spending time with my writing. In hot showers. In the smells of the plants outside at dusk. In the flowers my husband planted that will bloom through fall. In the talks with my daughters over the phone. In the good classes I have with my students. In the sweet love I make with my spouse.

My spirit is fed in all things—every sight, smell, touch, taste, sound that visits me each day are ways I filter healing to my soul. Even seemingly bad things can cause the thought patterns to turn inward. Reflection becomes part of the connecting to my soul.

I thought of more. In the pretty turquoisey and pinkish comforter I bought for our bed. In the comfy clothes I wear that make my body happy. In the flowers my husband buys for my altar to keep me painting. In the people I run into who change my day. In the fluff of my dog against my skin. In the ¼ cup of American Dream Ben and Jerry’s ice cream at night.

Wow. I didn’t think I lovingly mothered my spirit. I see now that I do. It may be the reason I am happy. When I do these things for me, I am happy. Happiness lies in the soul-filled moments. We create those moments by delving into spirit, loving spirit, listening to spirit.

It may not be profound, but it works for me.

Here’s to all the ways you mother your spirits. I’d love to know a few.

1 comment:

  1. We had some mothering self things in common - furry pet, coffee, comfy clothes, great spouse, etc. I would add yoga and mindfulness. I like to try to understand my own mind by sitting and still and observing it. It is very difficult to explain. It seems to settle my arse down.

    ReplyDelete