Friday, September 20, 2013

On Goddesses, Brigit, and Gifts






Brigit.  I like the spelling Brigit rather than Brigid.  I don't know why.  I just do.

When I first started goddess research, I'd look here and there as time allowed.  When I looked at the Pinterest board of goddesses, I was pleased to find so many but overwhelmed at how to pick one or two or even three.

Then one day while I was walking my dog, I heard the name Hecate in my ear.  I couldn't remember what her gifts were but didn't sense they matched me. 
I looked them up.  They were                     

I kept asking myself, "Maybe you are unwilling to accept a goddess who doesn’t look and act and have the gifts you want.

I said, "Well, of course.

Every goddess I looked at seemed like they had the gift of death (which I haven't done), or fertility (which I have already done), or sea (which I'm not totally drawn to.

When I read about Brigit, how she is the goddess of poetry and craftsmanship and healing, I was intrigued.  I love poetry.  At some times in my life, I have written a good bit of poetry.  Lately, I've wanted to write more and enhance that skill.  I haven't really had a thought about how to do that, or maybe I have, but it's expensive. 

Anyway, I want to be a poet again.  And I always want to be a craftsman.  And I have helped others heal. 

Ah, I breathed deeply.  I have found my goddess.

Then I searched around the internet about Brigit.

I liked that she has a festival, The Feast Day of Brigit or Imbolc, on February 1 and that you can put a white woolen cloth outside of your door the night before the festival.  The cloth will attract the energy of Brigit.

I like rituals so I immediately wanted it to be January 31st so I could try it. 

I like that she has this party day.  Parties are good.

I like that there’ this pagans and Christian part of her.

I like that she has known sorrow at the death of her son in battle and that her “keening” was so loud it went throughout Ireland and brought the warring sides together.

I like that she possesses an unusual status as a Sun Goddess Who hangs Her Cloak upon the rays of the Sun and whose dwelling-place radiates light as if on fire.

For me, I feel inspired her gifts and her story.  So much information is out there that it is difficult to gather it in this one place. 

I’m looking forward to painting her and knowing her and incorporating her gifts in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment